Friday, March 13, 2009

365:71 - Pop Pop's Chair



The other night, I accidentally took a fuzzy picture of this chair. Then I realized that a fuzzy picture of this particular chair is appropriate, so I took another.

This chair belonged to my grandfather, whom we called Pop Pop. He passed away when I was only seven, so my memories of him are rather fuzzy. I remember him sitting in this chair, though, and giving me the candy that I only got at my grandparents' house. I remember his smile and his strength and the thousands of freckles on his arms.

I love the stories about things he did before I was born - how he was a plumber and how he once brought a monkey home for the family to have as a pet. My favorite story is how he started to win my grandmother's heart by scooping her up and carrying her across a giant puddle--like a scene right out of a movie.

This recliner was in my grandparents' home and then in my parents' home, and now it's in our home. Besides the fact that it's a comfortable chair, I'm glad to have it because it reminds me of my family and of the great amount of love that's been passed down through the generations.

edited with Picnik

1 comment:

Penny Reid said...

Thanks for the memories. Love you lots, mom:)